How to help your child with phonics.
- Listen for sounds every day.
- Hold up an object and ask questions such as "What sound does this start with?"
- Play games such as I-spy using phonic sounds, eg I spy with my little eye something beginning with (say letter sound).
- Help your child to form the letter correctly as they say the sound - this could be using their finger in the air or using a variety of drawing equipment, pencils, crayons, felt tips etc
- Play a blending game e.g. you sound out the word c-a-t and they have to say the word (start with simple three letter words)
- Use the letter name and the sound it makes.
- We use 'pure' sounds when sounding out the letters, ie the shortest sound possible. For good examples of how to do this see Mr Thorne's phonics http://mrthorne.com/home/phonics/introduction/. There are also videos for each letter sound on this website.
- Another good website for phonics games is Phonics Play http://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/ParentsMenu.htm. There is lots of advice and interactive resources.